Sunday, September 30, 2012

Another Look at Olympia

It has been a long but good day and we head to our third and final stop in Olympia Washington put together by the family of Lindsay Baum. Each stop on the tour is different and has it's own uniqueness about it, and each stop always has me reflecting on the person or persons this event is about. That reflection time for me is always filled with prayer and the hope that these family and friends will get resolution, the answers they need and are able to bring home their missing loved one. They are moments that literally make me stop and take in all that is before me, they are moments that remind me of why I am on this tour and all that means to me.

The sun was setting over a beautiful lake and the candles were lit brightly around it's perimeter. The tables were set up with many posters and flyers of those missing and many family and friends turned up for support. As I walked around taking pictures I listened as so many families spoke to others about their missing person and the circumstances, most if not all through tears. I know the statistics and I have met so many families who have a missing person, yet it still just blows my mind when I see it in this very "real" way. It's heartbreaking and once again I am reminded that each of us has a role in this, that there is something we can do!

Before the balloon release we gather in a circle in front of the lake and Lindsay's mom invites all the other families there to share their stories. One family after another comes forward and shares their hearts, personal, informal and oh so real. Families reaching out and supporting other families, becoming families themselves because of this tragic bond that has brought them together.

 I notice that many passing through the park stop to listen and hear what is going on. I am sure that if they really listened they are walking away changed, and with a new awareness. I hope that the next time these people see a flyer or poster of a missing person that they won't just blow by it or not look at all. I hope they will take the time to read it and hopefully share it. Maybe some will come away so moved that they will offer their help in any way they can to a family or an Organization like CUE who always needs good volunteers.

It is never easy listening to those speak who have a missing loved one and it always impacts me. Tonight in particular I was struck by how young so many of those missing are and I am thinking of my own children at home, how could I not. I am struck as well by a young girl, the daughter of 21 year old Alyssa Mclemore who is missing. Alyssa's sister is speaking and all I see is her daughter, who is growing up without her mother. I see my sister Allison's daughters, for me it becomes a complete circle.

As we join in a large circle to release the balloons a prayer is said and manycall out the nameof their missing loved one.  As we watch the balloons head up into the night, I know what I am thinking and I wonder what those around me are, I am sure most of our thoughts are the same. I say another prayer.

We prepare to leave and head on to the next stop tomorrow. I know a million emotions and feelings are going through these families right now and all who attend this event. As we hug goodbye that same sense of hope and love sweeps over me as it has before and I know that these efforts and nights like tonight are never in vain. I am blessed to be here tonight and to "just be" with these families who endure so much, I leave this stop once again a little different.
Lisa Valentino

No comments:

Post a Comment