Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Another Look at Bellingham

Over the past six years since Allison went missing and was then recovered many have come into my life who have become like family, many whom I feel a special bond with; Kara Roberts is one of those people. Perhaps it is because she was one of the first people I spent time with on this journey who had a missing person. I recall meeting Kara for the first time as she came to help and support me at a press conference for Allison in Raleigh NC.  Maybe it's all that and the fact that she too had a younger sister missing and became the voice for Leah as I did for Allison. Whatever it is I feel honored to be here today at this rally stop and press conference, honored to come to Washington state and hear Leah's story again, actually seeing where it all took place and seeing the roots of this Road Tour that helps so many in Leah's name.

We travel with the detective on Leah's case to have a look at Leah's vehicle, which was difficult and then we leave him and travel up to the mountain where the vehicle was found. Twelve years later the search for answers and resolution continues. Kara's journey and search for answers has been much longer than mine was. I know that the not knowing, the living in limbo is the hardest part. As the detective on her case said this morning; "It is chronic sorrow." and that is the part that so many do not  
understand, you live with it everyday and it is a part of who you are. Your life is forever different and you find a way to live differently.

As we sit in the sheriff's office prior to the press conference outside the Whatcom County Court House meeting with law enforcement I replay a similar scene in my own mind with me where Kara sits and all the law enforcement on Allison's case. Kara  is here again asking questions and making sure she understands all that there is on Leah's case and discussing in detail all that is going on. She gives more information to her law enforcement team on who Leah is. It is extremely difficult living in another state from where your loved one went missing especially one so far away. Today is almost like reliving it all over again from the beginning, it's always right there and fresh and Kara knows this needs to be done.

We head out to the press conference and again all these years later it must seem so surreal, like  you are living in some bad movie or having a bad dream. No one should have to live not knowing where their loved one is, yet the reality is far too many do.

As I listen to Kara speak I am moved as I always am when families share their hearts. More than that I am impressed, impressed by her dedication and resolve to see all of this through until there is resolution, impressed because through Leah and her story so many others are being helped and getting much needed attention. I get the sense that Kara feels the way I and so many other families of the missing do; if Leah's case and story and Kara's journey helps someone else who walks in these shoes, then there is grace in that.

Kara is so thankful to CUE and all of us for being here, but the thanks really belong to her, it is her hardwork and dedication and commitment that has brought all of us here today. I feel  blessed to know her and I know that wherever Leah is she too feels that unending love and determination of a sister who will never give up and who leaves this world a better place by who she is and what she does in Leah's name for others on the same path. 

We get in the van to begin the long drive to the next stop and I say a prayer for Leah and Kara, my heart is full.
Lisa Valentino 



No comments:

Post a Comment